(1) There shall be paid in respect of the registration of designs and applications therefor and in respect of other matters relating to designs under this Act such fees may be prescribed.
(2) A proceeding in respect of which a fee is payable under this Act or the rules made thereunder shall be of no effect unless the fee has been paid.
Provisions as to Registers and other Documents in the Patent Office.
Notice of trust not to be entered in registers
There shall not be entered in any register kept under this Act, or be receivable by the
Controller, any notice of any trust expressed, implied or constructive.
Inspection of and extracts from registers
Every register kept under this Act shall at all convenient times be open to the inspection of the public, subject to the provisions of this Act; and certified copies, sealed with the seal of the Patent Office, of any entry in any such register shall be given to any person requiring the same on payment of the prescribed fee:
Provided that where such register is maintained wholly or partly on computer, the inspection of such register under this section shall be made by inspecting the computer print out of the relevant entry in the register so maintained on computer.
Privilege of reports of Controller
Reports of or to the Controller made under this Act other than the report referred to in section 45 shall not in any case be published or be open to public inspection.
Prohibition and publication of specification, drawings, etc. where application abandoned, etc.
Where an application for a design has been abandoned or refused, the application and any drawings, photographs, tracings, representations or specimens left in connection with the application shall not at any time be open to public inspection or be published by the Controller.
Power of Controller to correct clerical errors
The Controller may, on request in writing accompanied by the prescribed fee correct any clerical error in the representation of a design or in the name or address of the proprietor of any design, or in any other matter, which is entered upon the register of designs.
Entry of assignment and transmissions in registers
(1) Where a person becomes entitled by assignments, transmission or other operation of law to the copyright in a registered design, he may make application in the prescribed form to the Controller to register his title, and the Controller shall, on receipt of such application and on proof of title to his satisfaction, register him as the proprietor of such design, and shall cause an entry to be made in the prescribed manner in the register of the assignment, transmission or other instrument affecting the title.
(2) Where any person becomes entitled as mortgage, licensee or otherwise to any interest in a registered design, he may make application to the Controller to register his title, and the Controller shall, on receipt of such application and on proof of title to his satisfaction, cause notice of the interest to be entered in the prescribed manner in the register of designs, with particulars of the instrument, if any, creating such interest.
(3) For the purposes of sub-section (1) or sub-section (2) an assignment of a design or of a share in a design, a mortgage, licence or the creation of any other interest in a design shall not be valid unless the same were in writing and the agreement between the parties concerned is reduced to the form of an instrument embodying all the terms and conditions governing their rights and obligation and the application for registration of title under such instrument is filed in the prescribed manner with the Controller within six months from the execution of the instrument or within such further period not exceeding six months in the aggregate as the Controller on application made in the prescribed manner allows:
Provided that the instrument shall, on entry of its particulars in the register under sub- section (1) or sub-section (2), have the effect from the date of its execution.
(4) The person registered as the proprietor of a design shall, subject to the provisions of this Act and to any rights appearing from the register to be vested in any other person, have power absolutely to assign, grant licenses as to, or otherwise deal with, the design and to give effectual receipts for any consideration for any such assignment, licence or dealing:
Provided that any equities in respect of the design may be enforced in like manner as in respect of any other moveable property.
(5) Except in the case of an application made under section 31, a document or instrument in respect of which no entry has been made in the register in accordance with the provisions of sub-sections (1) and (2) shall not be admitted in evidence in any court in proof of the title to copyright in a design or to any interest therein, unless the court, for reasons to be recorded in writing, otherwise directs.
Rectification of register
(1) The Controller may, on the application in the prescribed manner of any person aggrieved by the non-insertion in or omission from the register of designs of any entry, or by any entry made in such register without sufficient cause, or by any entry wrongly remaining on such register, or by an error or defect in any entry in such register, make such order for making, expunging or varying such entry as he thinks fit and rectify the register accordingly.
(2) The Controller may in any proceeding under this section, decide any question that may be necessary or expedient to decide in connection with the rectification of a register.
(3) An appeal shall lie to the High Court from any order of the Controller under this section; and the Controller may refer any application under this section to the High Court for decision, and the High Court shall dispose of any application so referred.
(4) Any order of the Court rectifying a register shall direct that notice of the rectification be served on the Controller in the prescribed manner who shall upon the receipt of such notice rectify the register accordingly.
(5) Nothing in this section, shall be deemed to empower the Controller to make any such order canceling the registration of a design as is provided for in section 19.