THE DESIGNS RULES, 2001 - PRELIMINARY
- Short title and commencement
(1) These rules may be called the Designs Rules, 2001. These rules may be called the Designs (Amendment) Rules, 2014.
(2) They shall come into force on the date of their final publication in the Official Gazette.
In these rules, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context,-
(a) “Act” means the Designs Act, 2000
(b) “Application in United Kingdom or convention country or group of countries or intergovernmental organisation” means an application made by any person in any part of United Kingdom or convention country or group of countries or inter-governmental organisation, of a design for the protection in India under the provisions of section 44 of the Act.
(c) “Office” means the Patent Office referred to in section 74 of the Patent Act, 1970 (39 of 1970).
(ca) ”person other than a natural person", shall include a "small entity";
(d) “Reciprocity Application” means an application in India under section 44 of the Act.
(e) “Set” means a number of articles of the same general character ordinarily sold together or intended to be used together, all bearing the same design, with or without modification not sufficient to alter the character or substantially to affect the identity thereof.
(ea) ”small entity" means,-
- in case of an enterprise engaged in the manufacture or production of goods, an enterprise where the investment in plant and machinery does not exceed the limit specified for a medium enterprise under clause (a) of sub-section (1) of section 7 of the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Development Act, 2006 (27 of 2006); and
- in case of an enterprise engaged in providing or rendering of services, an enterprise where the investment in equipment is not more than the limit specified for medium enterprises under clause (b) of sub-section (1) of section 7 of the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Development Act, 2006.
Explanation 1. - For the purpose of this clause, "enterprise" means an industrial undertaking or a business concern or any other establishment, by whatever name called, engaged in the manufacture of production of goods, in any manner, pertaining to any industry specified in the First Schedule to the Industries (Development and Regulation) Act, 1951 (65 of 1951) or engaged in providing or rendering of any service or services in such an industry.
Explanation 2. - In calculating the investment in plant and machinery, the cost of pollution control, research and development, industrial safety devices and such other things as may be specified by notification under the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Development Act, 2006 (27 of 2006), shall be excluded.
Explanation 3. - The reference rates of foreign currency of the Reserve Bank of India shall prevail.
- Leaving and serving documents
(1) Any application, notice or other document authorised or required to be filed, left, made or given at the Office, or to the Controller or to any other person under the Act or these rules, may be sent by hand or by a prepaid letter through the post or registered post or speed post or courier service, and, if sent by a prepaid letter or registered post or speed post or courier service, shall be deemed to have been filed, left, made or given at the time when the letter containing the same would be delivered in the ordinary course of mail ,and in proving such sending, it shall be sufficient to prove that the letter was properly addressed and mailed. If the documents sent through tele-fax/e-mail, are clear and fully legible, they shall also be accepted provided that original documents corresponding to the one sent by tele-fax/e-mail is submitted to the office within fifteen days from the date of receipt of the documents so faxed/e-mailed.
(2) Any written communication addressed to a registered proprietor of a design at his address as it appears on the Register of Designs, or at his address for service, or to any applicant or opponent in any proceedings under the Act or these rules, at the address appearing on the application or notice of opposition, or given for service, as hereinafter provided, shall be deemed to be properly addressed.
(3) Any application for registration of design, application for extension of copyright, petition for cancellation of registration of design and application for rectification of Register of Design along with the prescribed fees authorized or required may be filed, left, made or given to the branch offices also by the applicant.
(4) The branch offices shall transmit such applications or documents along with the fees to the Head Office of the Patent Office for processing and prosecuting the same.
- Address for Service
Every applicant or opponent in any proceeding under the Act or these rules, and every person who shall hereafter become a registered proprietor of a design, shall give an address for service in India and such address may be treated, for all purpose connected with the design as the actual address of such applicant, opponent, registered proprietor. Unless such an address is given, the Controller shall be under no obligation either to proceed with the application or the opposition, or to send any notice that may be required by the Act or rules framed there under:
Provided that such address for service may include e-mail or digital address of the agent/applicant.
(1) The fees to be paid in respect of the registration of designs, and application therefor, and in respect of other matters, with relation to Designs Act and rules framed there under, shall be those as specified in the First Schedule of the rules.
(a) Fees may be paid in cash at the office, or the same may be paid by Cheque or Demand Draft on a scheduled bank payable to the Controller at Calcutta and if sent through the post or registered post or speed post or courier service shall be deemed to have been paid at the time when properly addressed and prepaid letter containing the cheque would be delivered in the ordinary course of mail.
(b) Cheques or Demand Drafts not carrying the correct amount of commission, and cheques or demand drafts on which the full value specified therein cannot be collected in cash within the time allowed for payment of the fee, shall be accepted only at the discretion of the Controller.
(c) Stamps and Indian postal order shall not be accepted in payment of fees.
(d) Subject to the approval of the competent authority any applicant or an agent may deposit money in advance once in a financial year and request the Controller to realise any fee payable by him from the said deposit and in such case date of the receipt of the request to realise the fee or the date on which the request to realise the fee is deemed to have been received, whichever is earlier, shall be taken as date of payment of fee:
Provided that the requisite amount of money is available at the credit of the person making the request.
(e) In case an application processed by a natural person is fully or partly transferred to a person other than a natural person, the difference, if any, in the scale of fees between the fees charged from a natural person and the fees chargeable from the person other than natural person in the same matter shall be paid by the new applicant with the request for transfer.
(f) In case an application processed by a small entity is fully or partly transferred to a person other than a natural person (except a small entity), the difference, if any, in the scale of fees between the fees charged from the small entity and the fees chargeable from the person other than natural person (except a small entity) in the same matter shall be paid by the new applicant with the request made for such transfer.
(1) The forms set forth in the Second Schedule, with such variations, as the circumstances of each case require, shall be used for the purposes mentioned therein:
Provided that in the case of small entity, every document, for which a fee has been specified, shall be accompanied by Form-24.
(2) When no form is so specified for any purpose, the applicant may adopt any form specified in the Second Schedule with such modification and variation as the controller may permit.
- Size, etc., of documents
(1) All documents and copies of documents except drawings or representation, sent to or filed, left at the Office or otherwise furnished to the Controller shall be written, typewritten, lithographed, or printed in the English/Hindi language (unless otherwise directed), in large and legible character with deep permanent ink upon one side only of strong white paper of A4 size with a margin of at least one inch and a half or four centimeters on the left hand part thereof. Signatures thereto shall be written in a large and legible hand and any signature which is not legible or which is written in a script other than English shall be accompanied by a transcription of the name in English in block letters.
(2) Additional copies of documents shall be filed at the Office, if at any time required by the Controller.
(3) Names and addresses of applicants and other persons shall be given in full together with their nationality and such other particulars, if any, as are necessary for identification.
- Signature and verification of documents specified in sections 5, 12, 19 and 37
The documents specified in sections 5,12,19 and 37 of the Act shall be dated and signed at the foot, and shall contain a statement that the facts and matters stated therein are true to the best of the knowledge, information and belief of the person signing them.
For all matters falling under the provisions of section 43 of the Act, applicant may, unless otherwise directed by the Controller, authorize under his personal signature, any person specified in section 43 to act as his agent and to receive all notices, requisitions and communications. The authority may be given in Form- 21.
- Classification of Goods
(1) For the purposes of the registration of designs and of these rules, article shall be classified as specified in the Third Schedule hereto.
(2) If any doubt arises as to the class to which any particular description of article belongs, it shall be determined by the Controller in consultation with the applicant wherever required.